IBM eserver, rhel 2.1, network issue

Greg Golin greg.golin at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 17:51:58 UTC 2005

Hi all,

I have cloned a rhel-2.1 installation from a noname machine onto an ibm x306
eserver. Had to tweak the drive conf [scsi vs ide] and size, other than that
the thing works.
Had to update the e1000 driver, was prepared for that. What I was not
prepared for is the fact that with the updated driver only eth0 works. The
other NIC, eth1, will not start, the error message is: SIOCGIFFLAGS: No such
device. Failed to bring up eth1.
As stated earlier, eth0 works OK. The driver installation was done from
source, then kudzu was run. Interestingly, kudzu detected both devices.

Any ideas as to how to get the second NIC going?

Many thanks.
Gregory Golin