Migration

Michael Scully agentscully at flexiblestrategies.com
Thu Aug 25 19:46:53 UTC 2005

Greetings:

	I have a few clients whose hardware is at the age where I'll be
replacing a lot of it in the next few months.  This will be the first time
I've tried moving Enterprise versions.  Most everyone is still on RHEL3, and
I'll want to move the data and applications to RHEL4 when I changed boxes.
The old machines will not be used any longer, so there I want to move their
entitlements.

	Does anyone know how the licensing model works?  Will the new box
look like a second machine on the RH network and balk at me moving the
entitlement over?  What happens now if you do a clean-from-scratch
installation on the same hardware - does that look like a different server
for entitlements?  I'm not sure what mechanism RH uses to identify machines.

Scully