passwd

Vladimir Kosovac vkosovac at gmail.com
Fri Aug 26 03:35:15 UTC 2005

Every user can change his/her own password, the only difference from passwd
command used by root is that they are prompted to enter existing password
first.

That being said, error sounds like this first step does not happen OK or new
password is not enterred twice. Shot in the dark but there isn't lot of
information given to work with.

One of the possible problems may be a different pwd hash in /etc/shadow
file, so it doesn't match the password that user enters in the prompt for
existing one. Still only a guess, though.

Rgds, V