passwd

Stephen Carville stephen at totalflood.com
Fri Aug 26 03:55:20 UTC 2005

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005, Meadows, Andrew wrote:

> Nope..
> Firewall is on but no selinux

That was the most obvious so....

check the permissions on /usr/bin/passwd.  S/B something like:

-r-s--x--x  1 root root 19336 Sep  7  2004 /usr/bin/passwd

the passwd and shadow files:

-rw-r--r--  1 root root 1784 Feb 17  2005 /etc/passwd
-r--------  1 root root 1162 Feb 17  2005 /etc/shadow

If the above are all copacetic, try running passwd from strace as a user:

$ strace passwd

A blood sacrifice of a small mammal might help too :-)