What software am I allowed to install?

Rik Herrin rikherrin at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 29 03:02:57 UTC 2005

Hi,
  I was just wondering what software I can safely
install from 3rd party sites that is not "supported"
by RHEL without affecting my support.  For example, I
have a RHEL ES 3 machine that I was thinking of
upgrading to KDE 3.4.  Would this affect my support in
any way (except possibly for not getting updates for
KDE 3.4 from RH)?  I'm sure that some system libraries
such as upgrading glibc or gcc would probably affect
my support to some degree.  Could anybody clarify this
issue?  Thanks for your time.