Updating RPMs

Rik Herrin rikherrin at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 29 03:07:05 UTC 2005

Hi,
  When upgrading packages (ex. getting the latest
version of Sendmail that fixes a security bug), the
old configuration files are saved as the file name
followed by a .rpmsave.  However, doesn't this mean
that when the system is restarted that my old
configuration will no longer be used and that the new
default configuration file (which doesn't have all my
settings, etc. will be used instead)?  What makes this
even more of an issue (if my understanding is correct)
is if I want to have the machines automatically
download and install security fixes and updates from
RHN, since they might be installed and remove the old
packages at any time.  Could someone shed light on
this issue?  Thanks for your time.