Upgrade RHEL3 to RHEL4, upgrade or clean install?

Clark, Patricia Clarkp at osti.gov
Sat Dec 10 17:49:44 UTC 2005

Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2005 10:05:37 -0800
From: "John Allan (PTC)" <John.Allan at PACCAR.com>
Subject: Upgrade RHEL3 to RHEL4, upgrade or clean install?
To: redhat-list at redhat.com
<DF4D882FB6AD2346A96B1072AEF97BFDE43E7F at PTCMTVMXM2.na.paccar.com>

Has anyone done an upgrade instead of a clean install when taking a
workstation from RHEL3 Update 4 to RHEL4 Update1? Is it pretty clean?
Anything I need to look out for?  Any comments on the relative merits of
doing a clean install instead of an upgrade?

John Allan

------------------------------

I have performed several successful upgrades of RHEL3WS to RHEL4WS.
However, I recommend that you go completely to Update 2, plus any
additional errata that have been released.  There were a number of bugs
and outstanding issues that have been addressed with U2.  Also, these
upgrades were simple workstations being used for development activities.
There wasn't anything special set up, samba, nfs, lvm, etc.  I did have
the luxury of having full backups to go to if needed which proved useful
for one system that I was adjusting the partition layout on and needed
to recover filesystems due to missteps on my part.  I also recommend
that you switch and review postings from the nahant list (RHEL4).  It is
more focussed on your topic.

Patti Clark
Unix Sys Admin - DOE/OSTI