Intermittent logwatch reports generated

Clark, Patricia Clarkp at osti.gov
Thu Dec 15 14:41:15 UTC 2005

I have a number of RHEL systems, both versions 3 & 4.  Logwatch is
straight out of the package with default settings on all of them and
root is aliased to forward to real mailboxes.  All of this works as
expected, except, on some systems logwatch intermittently does not
generate a report.  I've run logwatch interactively with various options
to see if there are any issues.  None appear other than no report is
generated with:

logwatch --print

I understand that the detail is set to Low by default, but I've been
receiving reports from low usage systems that at least provide the disk
space status and cron summaries.  My testing seemed to indicate that I
needed to raise the detail level to at least Medium in order to generate
a report:

logwatch --detail med --print

 Is this a bug or am I missing something?

Patti Clark
Unix System Administrator
Office of Scientific and Technical Information
<mailto:clarkp at osti.gov>