[OT?] Firewall problems

Kelley.Coleman at med.va.gov Kelley.Coleman at med.va.gov
Thu Dec 15 21:10:40 UTC 2005

File this under GREAT ADVICE....

-----Original Message-----
From: redhat-list-bounces at redhat.com [mailto:redhat-list-bounces at redhat.com]
On Behalf Of Dave Ihnat
Sent: Thursday, December 15, 2005 2:06 PM
To: General Red Hat Linux discussion list
Subject: Re: [OT?] Firewall problems

On Thu, Dec 15, 2005 at 03:40:59PM -0500, Bill Tangren wrote:
> The firewall admin feels that its the user's problem if they can't get
> access. He won't change his policies. He told me so himself. Loudly.
>
> Meanwhile someone, eventually, will go to their congressman and
> complain, and it will by my a** in the sling.

Hmm.  In that case, I'd write a nice letter, stating your requirements and
the fact that he will not make any accomodation to your requirements, and
for that reason you can't fulfill your obligations, and present it to him to
sign.  IF he won't sign, then I'd add a statement to that effect, sign and
date it with a countersignature by your immediate superior, and present it
to your and the firewall admin's management.

At that point, you've got written evidence that you did your best to meet
your obligations and couldn't due to circumstances beyond your control.

The way this usually plays out is that the firewall admin will refuse to
sign anything; you tell him what you're going to do with the unsigned
letter; then some accomodation is reached.

Been there, done this.

Cheers,
--
	Dave "Why, yes I know CYA procedures" Ihnat
	ignatz at dminet.com