Wireless Media Server

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Mon Dec 19 21:03:22 UTC 2005

On Mon, Dec 19, 2005 at 12:31:23PM -0500, Bill Tangren wrote:
> Ed Wilts wrote:
> >On Mon, Dec 19, 2005 at 05:33:27AM +0000, Mlists wrote:
> >
> >>I'm thinking about buying a wireless media server this Christmas and was
> >>wondering what luck people had had with the various solutions out there
> >>working in a linux only environment.
> >
> >TiVo with the Galleon software running on Linux.  This is a superb
> >solution that gives you excellent scheduling software for the TV, the
> >ability to view photographs and play mp3s right off your Linux system
> >onto the TiVo, and a bunch more (real-time weather, traffic, etc.).
> >
> >My TiVo is connected via wireless ethernet to wireless access point on
> >my network.  The TiVo runs Linux inside too!

> Do you know of a link that describes how to set up TIVO to do this?

Hi Bill,

TiVo has this article on general wireless network setup tips:
http://customersupport.tivo.com/knowbase/root/public/tv2066.htm?

The Galleon home page is at http://galleon.sourceforge.net/html/index.html

I had problems with the startup scripts so if you're going the Galleon
route and can't it working, feel free to holler and I'll send mine to
you.  I don't have a lot of Galleon experience but I did make it work
(as I did with JavaHMO, its predecessor).  If you've got specific
questions, though, I can take them a shot, or you can ask on the on the
TiVo community forum - http://www.tivocommunity.com.

Cheers,
        .../Ed
--