authentication hangs when disk > 80% full

Alfred Hovdestad alfred.hovdestad at usask.ca
Sat Dec 31 18:03:38 UTC 2005

The problem is that auditd "suspends" activities when /var falls below
20% free.

 From /etc/audit/audit.conf

output {
         mode            = bin;
         num-files       = 4;
         file-size       = 20M;
         file-name       = "/var/log/audit.d/bin";
         notify          = "/usr/sbin/audbin -S /var/log/audit.d/save.%u
-C -T 20
%";
#  AUDBIN THRESHOLDS:
#       The above notify will cause auditd to enter 'suspend' mode when
#       free space on the /var/ filesystem falls below 20%.

You can change the activity that auditd takes when the disk with /var
reaches 80%, or you can turn auditd off:

service audit stop
chkconfig audit off

    Alfred Hovdestad, RHCE
    University of Saskatchewan