Serving LexMark color printers through samba

Margaret_Doll Margaret_Doll at brown.edu
Fri Dec 2 14:13:19 UTC 2005

On Friday, December 2, 2005, at 08:39 AM, Margaret_Doll wrote:

> On Friday, December 2, 2005, at 03:30 AM, Count Of Dracula wrote:
>

>>> We have even used a raw queue on the server and downloaded the
>> LexMark
>>> print drivers to the Windows computers.
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>>
>>> --
>>
>> I have! But it would help us to help you if you post snippet of
>> smb.conf file. Are you sure you have read first chapter of Samba 3 By
>> Example. It takes care of this problem quite well.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Dracula
>>
>> --
>
> These are sections of the smb.conf.   As I said we are having no
> problems
> printing to HP printers from Windows XP.   The Windows XP computers do
> send the jobs to the cups queue on the RH print server: the pages are
> just
> hung and never print.
>
> ##      Changes for cups
>         load printers = yes
>         printing = cups
>         printcap name = /etc/printcap
>

> [printers]
>         comment = All Printers
>         path = /var/spool/samba
>         guest ok = Yes
>         print ok = Yes
>         browseable = no

I  have a lot entries in error_log and page_log indicating that
computers
are sending to the LexMark queue.

I have a lot of entried in the logwatch report  showing connection to
the HP printers such as the entry below:

smbd/service.c:make_connection_snum(648)  gc-computername
(128.nnn.nnn.nnn) connect to service gc-hpprinter initially as user
account (uid=xxx, gid=xxx) (pid 19605) : 3 Time(s)