Moving away from NIS. Options?

Cannon, Andrew Andrew.Cannon at amecnnc.com
Fri Dec 2 14:45:36 UTC 2005

Hi All,

We have an old (>8years) Sun box running SunOS 4.1.3 acting as our NIS
server (NISv2 I think) and we would like to move away from using this
system.  (We have no confidence that it will come back up if the power goes
in the server room...)

The *nix network is a mixed Solaris (2.6->9), HP-UX and Red Hat (8->EL4)
network with users logging in using X clients on their Windows boxes (either
Exceed or XThinPro).

What are our options to replace NIS?  The person who set up our NIS server
has left the company and I've got the job of looking into replacing this Sun
box.  I'm thinking of LDAP, mainly because I think it does a similar thing
to NIS and can integrate with a Windows network fairly well.  (I do stand to
be corrected on this though).  Winbind would be an idea, if we didn't have
the Solaris and HP boxes.

I've only just started to look into this problem, so I may know more in a
few weeks when I've been through the HOWTOs on the LDP and Googled a bit
more.

If anyone has personal experience of doing this, then I would be grateful of
any tips and pointers you could supply me with.

TIA

Andy

AMEC Nuclear Holdings Limited (no. 3725076), AMEC NNC Limited (no. 1120437), National Nuclear Corporation Limited (no. 2290928), STATS-NNC Limited (no. 4339062) and Technica-NNC Limited (no. 235856).  The registered office of each company is at Booths Park, Chelford Road, Knutsford, Cheshire WA16 8QZ except for Technica-NNC Limited whose registered office is at Citygate, Altens Farm Road, Aberdeen, Aberdeenshire, AB12 3LB.  AMEC NNC's head office and principal address is Booths Park and the switchboard number is 01565 633800.
The AMEC NNC website is www.amecnnc.com

Any request, advice, information or opinion in this message which does not relate to the business of any of the above companies is not authorised by any of the above companies.  Where this message does so relate,  it is sent by the relevant company (as above) and is confidential and intended for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed.  The content is subject to contract and, unless so stated, does not form part of any contract.  If you have received this e-mail in error please notify the AMEC NNC system manager by email at eadm at amecnnc.com.