cdrom troubles (won't close)

Marty Landman mlandman at face2interface.com
Sun Dec 4 16:09:51 UTC 2005

I've got RH9 installed with the 3 cd set a while back. Last night wanted to
install apache from the desktop utility and it asked for the 2nd CD. Put
that in and the cdrom kept opening the door and the cd wasn't found so have
temporarily given up. But now can't get the cd door to close.

# cat /etc/fstab | grep cdrom
/dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom              udf,iso9660
noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
# umount /mnt/cdrom
umount: /mnt/cdrom: not mounted
# mount /mnt/cdrom
mount: No medium found
# umount /mnt/cdrom
umount: /mnt/cdrom: not mounted
#

Any ideas? Also how can I determine if the cd writer unit (ok, not a cdrom)
is shot, short of putting in another one?

Marty

Marty Landman, Face 2 Interface Inc. 845-679-9387
Webmaster's Bulletin Board: http://bbs.face2interface.com/
Web Installed Formmail: http://face2interface.com/formINSTal