gateway newbie questions

Marty Landman mlandman at face2interface.com
Sun Dec 4 16:37:42 UTC 2005

I've got an office network which is sharing the dial up connection on my
RH9 box - gui installed - with the other computers. Occasionally one of my
kids will do things that hog up bandwidth. The way I currently deal with it
if she's not around is pull the cable out of the switch. :)

Was hoping that there would be an easier, software driven way.

Added this line to /etc/hosts.deny

ALL : squag

The file is empty otherwise as is the /etc/hosts.allow file. Squag is her
computer's name in the /etc/hosts file. BTW host names are not case
sensitive, are they? I don't have to reboot to have hosts.deny take effect,
do I? Am just wanting to shut down internet connection sharing for that one
computer; or is there a way to put a bandwidth quota on it?

Also, here is how I got the gateway working - from a yolinux article iirc:

/sbin/iptables --flush
/sbin/iptables --table nat --flush
/sbin/iptables --delete-chain
/sbin/iptables --table nat --delete-chain
/sbin/iptables --table nat --append POSTROUTING --out-interface ppp0 -j
MASQUERADE
/sbin/iptables --append FORWARD --in-interface eth0 -j ACCEPT
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

Mind you I don't understand these commands really - all feedback most welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Marty

Marty Landman, Face 2 Interface Inc. 845-679-9387
Webmaster's Bulletin Board: http://bbs.face2interface.com/
Web Installed Formmail: http://face2interface.com/formINSTal