Upgrading Perl to 5.8.7 on RedHat EL 3.0

dgeorgie at wiley.com dgeorgie at wiley.com
Wed Dec 7 17:25:20 UTC 2005

Thanks Ed for resolving my dilemma. I already did that. Some other people
in the team thought we could upgrade Perl on the server so other programs
and script could benefit from the new version. I wanted to find out how
difficult is to do such a thing.

Dimitar

Ed Wilts <ewilts at ewilts.org>
Sent by: redhat-list-bounces at redhat.com
12/07/2005 11:42 AM
Please respond to
General Red Hat Linux discussion list <redhat-list at redhat.com>

General Red Hat Linux discussion list <redhat-list at redhat.com>
cc

Subject
Re: Upgrading Perl to 5.8.7 on RedHat EL 3.0

On Wed, Dec 07, 2005 at 10:52:50AM -0500, dgeorgie at wiley.com wrote:
> What is the best or recommended way to upgrade Perl on RedHat EL 3.0
from
> 5.8.0 to 5.8.7?

You don't.  If you need 5.8.7 for specific applications, you install
into /usr/local or /opt and then point those applications to the
different instance.  In general, you leave the stock Red Hat-supplied
versions alone.

        .../Ed

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE