Upgrading Perl to 5.8.7 on RedHat EL 3.0

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Wed Dec 7 18:37:24 UTC 2005

On Wed, Dec 07, 2005 at 12:25:20PM -0500, dgeorgie at wiley.com wrote:
> Thanks Ed for resolving my dilemma. I already did that. Some other people
> in the team thought we could upgrade Perl on the server so other programs
> and script could benefit from the new version. I wanted to find out how
> difficult is to do such a thing.

The difficulties you run into are:
- dependency issues.  You could build your perl rpms and install that.
  It should work but it depends on your skill set building rpms.
- support issues.  Red Hat won't support 5.8.7.  It's not even in RHEL 4
  yet.  I don't know about Fedora.

In addition, there could be pieces of Red Hat software that require the
specific version.  I don't know if there are, but I've heard of people
getting burned by replacing python which rpm needs.

        .../Ed

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE
Mounds View, MN, USA