Limiting system and filesystem access

McDougall, Marshall (FSH) MarMcDouga at gov.mb.ca
Thu Dec 8 17:19:46 UTC 2005

I apologize if this is too OT.

I have a developer who needs access to
/u/l/a/htdocs/his_project_documentation.  I don't want to give him a
shell account because he only needs to dump some online manuals in this
directory. I also don't want him to be able to navigate the file system.

>From what I have seen, If I create a user with no shell account, sftp
will not work.  It fails with:

Warning: ssh_packet_wrapper_input: invalid packet received: len
1416128887 closing the offending input channel.

If I create a user with the home drive pointing to
/u/l/a/htdocs/his_project_documentation, all of the dot files get dumped
there and they can still navigate the filesystem.

I have installed rssh from pizzashack.org and have limited them to just
SFTP, but again they can still navigate the filesystem.  If I understand
the CHROOT jail process properly, I would need to copy various system
binaries to the chrooted area and I don't want to do that.

So my burning question is:  How do I give this user sftp access only to
a very limited area of my system?  Any assistance appreciated.

Regards, Marshall