[OT?] Firewall problems

Dave Ihnat ignatz at dminet.com
Thu Dec 15 21:06:29 UTC 2005

On Thu, Dec 15, 2005 at 03:40:59PM -0500, Bill Tangren wrote:
> The firewall admin feels that its the user's problem if they can't get
> access. He won't change his policies. He told me so himself. Loudly.
>
> Meanwhile someone, eventually, will go to their congressman and complain,
> and it will by my a** in the sling.

Hmm.  In that case, I'd write a nice letter, stating your requirements
and the fact that he will not make any accomodation to your requirements,
and for that reason you can't fulfill your obligations, and present it to
him to sign.  IF he won't sign, then I'd add a statement to that effect,
sign and date it with a countersignature by your immediate superior,
and present it to your and the firewall admin's management.

At that point, you've got written evidence that you did your best to meet
your obligations and couldn't due to circumstances beyond your control.

The way this usually plays out is that the firewall admin will refuse
to sign anything; you tell him what you're going to do with the unsigned
letter; then some accomodation is reached.

Been there, done this.

Cheers,
--
	Dave "Why, yes I know CYA procedures" Ihnat
	ignatz at dminet.com