X server problems

Cannon, Andrew Andrew.Cannon at amecnnc.com
Mon Dec 19 09:50:42 UTC 2005

Hi all,

I've been having these problems for a few months now and I just cannot seem
to figure out the problem.  We have a mixed Unix/Linux network, with users
using either local sessions or remote X sessions to log in to the systems.
A few months ago all of our Linux systems (1xRH8, 2xTaroonU2 and 3xNahantU2)
began to suffer local X-Windows errors.  It seemed to happen simultaneously
(but probably occurred over a week or so) on all of the Linux systems.

The symptoms are that the user attempts to log in for a local session and
gets either greeted by a blue screen (I'm not joking, it is even the same
shade of blue too) and the system hangs for a few minutes before a message
comes up saying that "I cannot start the X server (your graphical
interface).  It is likely that it is not set up correctly.  Would you like
to view the X server output to diagnose the problem?"

The X.org output from our newest system (HP XW4300 workstation) is attached.
It is an Intel (unfortunately) P4 650 (HT enabled) with a nVidia Quattro 280
graphics card.  Note that it is looking for the font.  I can sometimes, say
every other attempt, get the X server to start up by logging in as root
(remotely) and typing "/sbin/service xfs restart"  This works every other
time the Xserver fails to start, but when the server doesn't start, I I have
to perform a reboot.  Typing "startx" as root starts a session, which stops
when root logs out of that session.  We need to have the X server running
due to the remote log in sessions (which, due to the lack of the X session
means that XDMCP isn't running).

Is there any way that I can start the X server without rebooting, or running
X as root all the time?

Has anyone else come across this problem?

Due to the near simultaneous occurrence of this problem, is it possible that
we've had an unwelcome visitor access our systems?

TIA.

Andy

 <<Xorg.0.log>>

AMEC Nuclear Holdings Limited (no. 3725076), AMEC NNC Limited (no. 1120437), National Nuclear Corporation Limited (no. 2290928), STATS-NNC Limited (no. 4339062) and Technica-NNC Limited (no. 235856).  The registered office of each company is at Booths Park, Chelford Road, Knutsford, Cheshire WA16 8QZ except for Technica-NNC Limited whose registered office is at Citygate, Altens Farm Road, Aberdeen, Aberdeenshire, AB12 3LB.  AMEC NNC's head office and principal address is Booths Park and the switchboard number is 01565 633800.
The AMEC NNC website is www.amecnnc.com

Any request, advice, information or opinion in this message which does not relate to the business of any of the above companies is not authorised by any of the above companies.  Where this message does so relate,  it is sent by the relevant company (as above) and is confidential and intended for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed.  The content is subject to contract and, unless so stated, does not form part of any contract.  If you have received this e-mail in error please notify the AMEC NNC system manager by email at eadm at amecnnc.com.