Compiling a new RHEL-4 kernel

Matt Brookover mbrookov at mines.edu
Tue Dec 20 15:03:51 UTC 2005

After reading my response, I realized I skipped a few details.
Depending on how your system is set up, you may need to run mkinitrd and
reboot to reconfigure scsi_mod.

Do something like:

mkinitrd -f /boot/initrd-`uname -r`.img `uname -r`
shutdown -r now

Another possibility is to unload scsi_mod and reload it:

rmmod scsi_mod
modprobe scsi_mod

The reload may fail if there are disks or other devices using scsi_mod.
Depending on your user population, a reboot may be simpler.

Matt