/etc/host or /etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/default/host ?

Jeff Boyce jboyce at meridianenv.com
Tue Dec 27 17:44:26 UTC 2005

Greetings -

I upgraded the kernel on my RHEL 3 file server last week and am now at
2.4.21-37.ELsmp.  I was previously at the stock 2.4.21-4.ELsmp kernel.  The
results of the up2date process appeared to go well at the time.  Now I have
noticed that I am not receiving the daily email notifications for Logwatch
and my tape backup software.  I looked at my /etc/host file and saw that it
was the same as it was before updating my kernel.  I checked some of my
reference manuals and one mentioned that it referenced the location of the
host file in /etc/sysconfig directory.  I found a host file at
/etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/default/host.  I don't know if this host
file was there previous to my kernel upgrade.  This host file is different
than the one in /etc/host which I had previously configured for our network.
Can anyone tell me which one I should have configured for my network?  Is it
possible that the new kernel looks for the host file under the
/etc/sysconfig directory whereas the old kernel looked for it under just the
/etc directory?

Thanks.

Jeff Boyce
www.meridianenv.com