/etc/host or /etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/default/host ? SOLVED

Jeff Boyce jboyce at meridianenv.com
Tue Dec 27 20:37:00 UTC 2005

Thanks for the suggestions Tom.  Here is what I found and how I solved it.
I first checked the tape backup log file for the Arkiea tape backup software
as I suspected that this might identify if there was a problem in the hosts
file as two of our desktops are backed up from the server.  This showed that
they backed up ok.  I then checked the /etc/aliases file for sendmail to
verify that it had my current aliases configuration; this was ok.  Then
checked the /etc/aliases.rpmnew file as you suggested.  This file contained
a basic alias file that had not been custom configured.  So apparently my
system updates have not over-written my configuration files.  I ran the
newaliases macro to be sure that the aliases were recognized.  Re-running
the newaliases command may, or may not, have been needed, but that did not
let loose mail from the queue.  Finally I checked what I should have looked
at from the beginning; sendmail was not running.  I am setup as a file
server and do not run a mail service, the only mail that transits our server
is the administrative messages directed to root from various applications.
I restarted sendmail and it opened the floodgates from the mail queue.

>From this little exercise I have learned that my system is reading my hosts
file from /etc/hosts and not from
/etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/default/hosts.  I think I may synchronize
these files just in case something changes on my system in the future and it
looks for hosts in the /sysconfig directory.

Thanks for your assistance.
Jeff