setuid for "ssh"

Sachin Bhugra bhugra.sachin at gmail.com
Fri Dec 30 20:13:38 UTC 2005

Yes, actually i edited the ssh_config  and sshd_config files and allowed
only ssh ver 1. Also, ssh looks for /etc/hosts.equiv or
/etc/ssh/shosts.equiv. I think "shosts.equiv" is specific to ssh and "
hosts.equiv" works for both rsh and ssh (pls correct me if i am wrong).

BTW, any idea why ssh is not running with the root permissions. i know its
dangerous, but...why? What i don't understand is /usr/bin/passwd also have
the same permissions and if we use "passwd" command it runs with the root
permissions then why not ssh, when it is also having the setuid bit set?

Regds,
Sachin

PS: I am using OpenSSH_3.6.1p2.