Building a new kernel on RH EL 3.0

Steve Phillips steve at focb.co.nz
Tue Feb 1 19:17:58 UTC 2005

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005, Margaret Doll wrote:

> I did get netatalk 2.0.2 to work on the standard RH kernel, but I am
> curious as to where I went wrong on building a kernel.
>
> The error message that I get when the Appletalk1 kernel tries to boot is:
>
> Creating root device
> Mounting root filesystem
> mount:  error 19 mounting ext3
> pivoroot:  pivot (/sysroot, /sysroot/intrd) failed 2
> umount /initrd/proc failed 2
> Freeing unused kernel memory:  164k freed.
> Kernel panic:  No init found.  Try passive init= option to kernel.

When you compiled the new kernel did you re-create the initrd ramdisk
image ? and if so did you include ext3 modules in the initrd ? try
compiling ext3 modules into the kernel itself.

The error you are seeing is due to the system not being able to mount your
/ file system and hence not being able to call the init process to begin
the loading of the necessary rc scripts needed to bring up your system.

were there any other errors before this (like, unknown symbols etc, or
unrecognised labels)

--
Steve.