xterminal help needed

James R. Jones bnjrj at uaf.edu
Fri Feb 4 19:40:28 UTC 2005

Hello,

I am trying to get the gnome interface to come up on a Redhat
workstation.  I have two systems a big system down the hall and a
workstation at my desk.  I do not want to use VNC, but I believe there
this approach is a better way.  So I want to use the workstation as an
Xterminal.  I remember the last time I did this a few years ago all I
had to do was execute a command or two.  What I am saying is I forgot
how to do this.  I have done research on the web but have come up empty
because everything I read were to complex for such a simple task, or did
not work.  I have gotten xclock and the xterm program to work,  for
example to work but I cannot remember how to bring up the desktop
environment.  I have set the DISPLAY variable to FQDN:0.0 on the big
system, I believe the question I am asking what do I run and on which
system, to get the desktop on the workstation?

jim