nmap results

Steve Buehler steve at ibapp.com
Fri Feb 11 14:04:37 UTC 2005

	I am wondering if someone can tell me what closed would mean in results
for nmap.  Basically, does that mean that a firewall is filtering it?  Or
does it mean that a firewall is NOT filtering it and the program won't
except anything without a password or configured to only accept from a
specific IP?  Or the port is not being blocked, but no program is running
to except connections on it?  Or something else?  The "man nmap" doesn't
even mention that "closed" could be an result.  All I could find in the
manual was this:
        The state is either ’open’, ´filtered´, or
´unfiltered´.  Open  means  that
        the  target  machine  will accept() connections on that port.  Filtered
        means that a firewall, filter, or other network  obstacle  is  covering
        the port and preventing nmap from determining whether the port is open.
        Unfiltered means that the port is known by nmap to  be  closed  and  no
        firewall/filter  seems to be interfering with nmap’s attempts to
deter-
        mine this.  Unfiltered ports are the common case  and  are  only  shown
        when most of the scanned ports are in the filtered state.

It would be nice if any response had a link to an official doc for it so
that I can show the client.

	Another question.  My SSH Terminal Emulation is set in SecureCRT as
"Linux"  with "ANSI Color" checked.  I did a cut and post of the "man nmap"
and pasted it above.  It seems that certain characters don't show correctly
in my sessions.  This is shown by this part of the past above:
’open’, ´filtered´, or ´unfiltered´
I am assuming that it is back ticks/forward ticks but am not quite
sure.  Does anybody know what I might need to do with my emulation, or
whatever to get these to show correctly?  I am not sure if this is
something that I need to do on my box or in my SecureCRT program.

Thank You
Steve