yum equivalent in Red Hat Enterprises

security security at air-austral.com
Mon Feb 14 13:22:57 UTC 2005

Benjamin J. Weiss wrote:

> Ed Wilts wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Feb 14, 2005 at 03:14:46AM -0800, jim martin wrote:
>>

>>> Hi.. I want to know whether yum command is specificly
>>> for Fedora only?  Are we able to use yum command in
>>> RedHat Enterprises? I type yum in my RedHat Ent, but
>>> it shows command not found.  I want to use yum to
>>> download and install squid from the internet.  If yum
>>> is not available for Redhat Ent, what is the
>>> equivalent command then
>>>

>> You can certainly install yum and use it to install packages that are
>> not in the RHEL distribution but squid is available.  Use up2date.
>> I use yum to install packages from Dag's archive that Red Hat doesn't
>> provide (awstats, proftp, etc.)
>>

> Yeah, but I wonder how long Dag's site will be around.  RedHat has
> started legally attacking non-RH sites that use their name or even
> link to them, so I wonder how long it will be before they hit Dag and
> make him remove all trademarks/references/links/etc to RedHat.  (Oh,
> oh, I used the 'RH' word, I wonder if a lawyer is going to come
> knocking on my door?)
>
> Ben

It's "Red Hat" , not redhat (I know I know ... :)
I think it's a bit stupid to "warn" centos team or other Redhat-Linux clone:
So Redhat will attack Mandrakesoft ? Conectiva Linux ?? because "Maybe"
there is a "Red Hat" somewhere ??? hum .......
It's stupid, and a mail to redhat (not to the lawyer) would be a good
thing to do.

--
jean-sébastien Hubert
Service Informatique Air-Austral