up2date RPM package conflict error

Reuben D. Budiardja techlist at voyager.phys.utk.edu
Tue Feb 22 18:40:08 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 22 February 2005 13:10, Ryan Williams wrote:
> > You (or someone) probably installed the package manually or something
> > like that, ie. not via up2date. Therefore the up2date profile in the
> > server has no knowledge of this package already installed in your
> > machine, and try to update it.
> >
> > Run 'up2date -p' to update your profile, then try again.
>

> This is a new ES3 server install as of yesterday. We ran up2date
> yesterday without this issue and no RPMs have been manually installed.
> We do have Plesk on this box and did some psa related installs/upgrades
> which included the Tomcat server. I suppose Plesk could have installed
> it as part of that Java package.

That could be the problem. Some files from your installtion may conflic with
the ones up2date is tring to install.

> Any clue on how to correct this? Should I just add it to my config file
> to skip 'xerces*'?

That should do it. Just remember that the package you installed manually (ie.
xerces) won't be supported by Redhat.

> Sorry, I'm a newbie when it comes to up2date. I'm used to using YUM on
> the legacy RH9.

The basic principle of up2date and yum should be fairly similar. Your problem
is basically up2date complains because it does not want to overwrite an
existing files. In a similar case, yum would complain too.

HTH
RDB

--
Reuben D. Budiardja