up2date RPM package conflict error

Ryan Williams ryan at jimmyether.com
Tue Feb 22 19:24:55 UTC 2005

> Have a look at the output of:
> rpm -qi xerces-j
>
> And see if it's a Red Hat supplied package or different one.

Weird. It shows two entries

-----------------------------
rpm -qi xerces-j
Name        : xerces-j                     Relocations: (not relocatable)
Version     : 1.2.1                             Vendor: (none)
Release     : 2                             Build Date: Thu 16 Nov 2000
10:11:47 AM EST
Install Date: Sun 20 Feb 2005 08:12:28 PM EST      Build Host: perso.free.fr
Group       : System Environment/Libraries   Source RPM:
xerces-j-1.2.1-2.src.rpm
Size        : 1648899                          License: Apache
Signature   : RSA/MD5, Thu 16 Nov 2000 10:11:51 AM EST, Key ID
8622ae5c697ecedd
Packager    : Henri Gomez <gomez at slib.fr>, Murray Todd Williams
<MurrayTodd at yahoo.com>
URL         : http://xml.apache.org/xerces-j/
Summary     : The Xerces XML parser
Description :
Xerces provides world-class XML parsing and generation. Fully-validating
parsers are available for both Java and C++, implementing the W3C XML and
DOM (Level 1 and 2) standards, as well as the de facto SAX (version 2)
standard. The parsers are highly modular and configurable. Initial support
for XML Schema (draft W3C standard) is also provided.

Name        : xerces-j                     Relocations: (not relocatable)
Version     : 2.2.1                             Vendor: Red Hat, Inc.
Release     : 11                            Build Date: Wed 24 Sep 2003
07:00:50 AM EST
Install Date: Mon 21 Feb 2005 01:28:53 PM EST      Build Host:
daffy.perf.redhat.com
Group       : System Environment/Libraries   Source RPM:
xerces-j-2.2.1-11.src.rpm
Size        : 6582694                          License: Apache Software
License
Signature   : DSA/SHA1, Wed 24 Sep 2003 11:22:52 AM EST, Key ID
219180cddb42a60e
Packager    : Red Hat, Inc. <http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla>
URL         : http://xml.apache.org/xerces2-j/
Summary     : The Xerces XML parser
Description :
Xerces provides world-class XML parsing and generation. Fully-validating
parsers are available for both Java and C++, implementing the W3C XML and
DOM (Level 1 and 2) standards, as well as the de facto SAX (version 2)
standard. The parsers are highly modular and configurable. Initial support
for XML Schema (draft W3C standard) is also provided.
--------------------

The first one is an old version that was installed in the initial server
install. The second seems to actually have been installed by up2date
when we ran it yesterday. The install times match. I don't understand
why up2date still wants to update it. Anything else I should look at?

> You can
> also look at the timestamp of the install and see if it matches the
> timeframe you did the Plesk install (whatever that is).

It's a server admin system. It allows our hosting clients to control
their accounts. And looking back through logs and emails, it turns out
we actually ran the plesk updates well before the first up2date was run.
So I don't think this is an issue with a Plesk installed package after
all (they are pretty good about staying out of the OS).

Thanks for the help everyone! Super-fast responses!! :)

Ryan