Want ability to restore from failed upgrade.

Peter Smith pasmith at wbmpl.com.au
Thu Feb 24 00:36:46 UTC 2005

Jason Dixon wrote:

> On Feb 23, 2005, at 4:55 PM, Peter Smith wrote:

<snip>

>> I doubt there is any point in testing a server setup on a 200MHz P3
>> desktop, is there?
>

> Please read my comments more carefully.  I'm not suggesting everyone
> has identical hardware for this purpose.  This is a TEST system, not a
> FAILOVER/REPLACEMENT production system.  It does not need identical
> hardware;  it only needs a minimum of hardware capable of running the
> applications being tested.  Based on the OP's description, I imagine a
> used PC in the Pentium-II range would be more than capable.
>
> Oh, and yes, a 200Mhz PC would suffice for his purposes.  As far as I
> can tell, we're not talking about stress-testing the applications.  He
> simply wants to ensure that his data and applications will transition
> from older to newer versions.  Yes, stress-testing is very important,
> but is beyond the scope of this thread.  If he can't afford a spare
> set of identical hardware, it's going to be impossible to stress-test
> properly anyways.
>
> --
> Jason Dixon
> DixonGroup Consulting
> http://www.dixongroup.net

Thanks Jason.  I have a messy setup in RH 7.3 with ColdFusion, apache,
MySQL, PHP and stuff which took ages to set up and I haven't been game
to touch it since.  I didn't realise there was any point in setting up a
play version on a leftover PC.

I'll give it a go shortly.

Thanks again
Peter Smith