formatting a string

Steve Buehler steve at ibapp.com
Mon Feb 28 20:32:13 UTC 2005

At 10:23 AM 2/28/2005, Ed Wilts wrote:

>On Mon, Feb 28, 2005 at 09:56:23AM -0600, Steve Buehler wrote:
> > I am writing a shell script (#!/bin/sh) that will change some file names
> > around but am having trouble formatting a string.  If I have a string like
> > this:
> > 20050202
> > How can I change it to:
> > 2005-02-02
>
>[ewilts at scsftp ewilts]$ NEWDATE=`date -d 20050202 +%F`
>[ewilts at scsftp ewilts]$ echo $NEWDATE
>2005-02-02

THAT is exactly what I was looking for.  I am running RHEL ES 3 and my man
page doesn't have the "%F" option in it.  I searched on google to get
another set of the man pages and sure enough......it is on their.  I am
running:
# date --version
date (coreutils) 4.5.3

Not sure why my man pages say they are the same version, but it isn't
documented there.  A "date --help" shows the option.
Anyway, thank you VERY MUCH
Steve