Sendmail Attachment Filter

Pettit, Paul ismanager at ccbnpts.com
Thu Feb 3 16:37:51 UTC 2005

That is an anti-virus tool and while it's possibly what he's looking for
that's not what he asked for.

Darryl, your best bet is to look into filtering via procmail. There are
many useful lists out there like the Moongroup and procmail mailing
lists that would be glad to help.
http://www.ii.com/internet/robots/procmail/qs/ is a good place to start
and you might want to look into demime. You will need to tweak your
local delivery settings in your sendmail.mc but all the info you need
for that is at the Sendmail.org site.

There is nothing that can do what your looking at doing in Sendmail
unless it's just for anti-virus work. Both amavsd-new
(http://www.ijs.si/software/amavisd/) and clamav
(http://www.clamav.net/) will filter virii out at the Sendmail (MTA)
level but you will need to read their documentation on how to impliment.

I can't speak for other MTAs (like postfix, qmail, etc.) but you might
want to look around a bit. However I've found Sendmail works just fine,
you just need to add a few tools. :)

Good luck.

Paul Pettit
CTO and IS Manager
Consistent Computer Bargains Inc.

I've heard it said that the proof of lunacy is when you repeat the same
steps expecting different results.  I say it's proof that you're a
Microsoft user. - comment by deshi777 on experts-exchange.com