Requesting general SMTP guidance and opinions

Jeff Boyce jboyce at meridianenv.com
Fri Feb 4 19:00:29 UTC 2005

Greetings -

I am new to managing a Linux network for a small office so am looking for some general guidance and opinions.  My issue is that I have several administrative programs on my server (e.g., tape backup and Dell OpenManage Server administrative tools) that have the ability to send notices to the system administrator to notify them of certain conditions.  I would like to enable this as a tool for keeping track of the conditions on my system.

We are running RHEL3, and our server is used primarily as a Samba file server for a small group of Windows based desktops.  I believe that Sendmail and Postfix were installed on the server during the initial setup, although all unnecessary services are turned off to assist with security.  Our incoming email service is handled via POP3 from a 3rd party provider.  In order for my administrative tools to email messages to me, do I need to configure/start Sendmail or Postfix.  For just this function, which one would be preferred and be easy to configure for this purpose by a novice administrator?  Is there possibly another option for providing this function that would be simpler to implement and secure?  Thanks.

Jeff Boyce
www.meridianenv.com