DNS

dbrett dbrett at tcn.net
Mon Feb 7 14:41:58 UTC 2005

The link Ed supplied is good.  Here is the high level over view, which
will leave lots of questions which will be answered by the link Ed
supplied.

-DNS server responds to queries normally port 53 for name to IP address
(forward) or IP address to name (reverse)
-DNS general configuration is /etc/named.conf.  This file describes where
to go for known domains (zone files) or unknown domains (forwarders)
-Zone files map names to IP addresses (forward) or IP addresses to name
(reverse)

Things to watch out for. format of configuration files.
-unnecessary spaces or tabs can mess up coniguration files.
-check the log file /var/log/messages to confirm the service is running
-each line ends with ;  a line which ends with { does not need a ;

I noticed a number of people on this list disagree with me, but put a
forwarder in the configuration /etc/named.conf.

david