How to drive copy Linux

McDougall, Marshall (FSH) MarMcDouga at gov.mb.ca
Mon Feb 7 18:56:45 UTC 2005

Jay.

Your question comes up on list frequently.  Here is what I do:

Boot with the Linux cd to rescue mode, login as root and run grub.  Once you
have the grub prompt, type "find /boot/grub/stage1" or "find /grub/stage1"
depending on the pathing, without the quotes. The command should return
something to the effect of (hd0,0).  At the prompt, type "root (hd0,0)" or
whatever was returned in the previous command, and hit enter.  Again at the
prompt type "setup (hd0)".  That should reinstall the grub boot loader. Quit
out of grub, exit out of rescue mode and reboot.  You should be good to go.
HTH

Regards, Marshall