Problem Binding to Nis server

Steve Buehler steve at ibapp.com
Wed Feb 9 15:42:25 UTC 2005

At 07:22 AM 2/9/2005, Andrew.Bridgeman at corusgroup.com wrote:

>Using one machine as an example it says none when i do type domainname it
>should say bsaeg. Below are a few files if you see something wrong anybody
>let me know. Also does anyone know how i can get the machines that have
>hung back to a command line so i can make changes if needed.
>
>[root at lin5 sysconfig]# domainname
>(none)

I have never used that command before.  I use hostname.  "domainname comes
up with the same results as you get on all of our servers.  A "man
domainname" says this:
domainname - show or set the system's NIS/YP domain name
So I would say that if you are trying to show or set your system's NIS/YP
domain name, then just type "domainname bsaeg" to set it and then when you
type "domainname", it should give you what you are looking for.  To get it
to come up when your machine boots, put the "domainname bsaeg" command in
your systems startup script.  For mine I would put it in /etc/rc.d/rc.local
at the end with the following line:
/bin/domainname bsaeg

Steve