Deny IP based on failed login requests

Brian Whitehead Brian.Whitehead at LABONE.com
Wed Feb 9 18:19:33 UTC 2005

I'd say a quick shell script that parses the log file for the failed
attempts and the creates an iptables rule to block the IP.

-----Original Message-----
From: redhat-list-bounces at redhat.com [mailto:redhat-list-bounces at redhat.com]
On Behalf Of Chris W. Parker
Sent: Wednesday, February 09, 2005 12:17 PM
To: General Red Hat Linux discussion list
Subject: Deny IP based on failed login requests

Hello,

I was unsucsessful with Google while searching for an answer to this
question so I'm bringing it to the list. I just read a LogWatch email from
back in Nov that says there were 610 failed attempts from a specific IP
address while trying to login as root.

What I'd like to know is if it's possible to lock out an IP address after a
certain number of failed attempts. Say, 10 attempts.

Thanks,
Chris.