kernel panic after recompile

Geoff Rainey (DSL AK) GeoffR at datacom.co.nz
Wed Feb 9 20:56:43 UTC 2005

Frustrating - I have had this many times, and it requires a thorough understanding on both the recompilation details and the boot process. It will be something like your kernel cannot mount the root filesystem and this is because either you do not have the disk device drivers compiled into the kernel, or they are not included in the initial RAM disk image which makes device drivers available for the kernel during the boot process.