Logging HP Laserjet Printer to a linux machine

Reuben D. Budiardja techlist at voyager.phys.utk.edu
Thu Feb 10 15:36:59 UTC 2005

Hello,
This maybe slightly OT, but I'm wondering if anyone has done it here and can
give me some clues.
I have a networked printer: HP Laserjet 4000 TN. Looks like the printer
supports having a log transmitted to a syslog server. I want to log all the
jobs that got sent to the printer. I can specify the syslog server by
telnet-ing the printer (ie. telnet <printer_ip>) and then put in the IP of my
linux machine as the syslog server (running RHEL 3).

The problem, I have no idea on how to capture those logs. Any pointer ?

PS: I started to look at syslog-ng but it seems to be rather involve for what
I want to do right now. I'm wondering if there's easier or quicker way to
achieve this, since I though this should be pretty simple / straightforward.

Thanks in advance for any help.
RDB
--
Reuben D. Budiardja