Multiple IPs on single interface

Jason Williard jason at pcsafe.com
Tue Feb 15 05:56:32 UTC 2005

Hello,

I have a box with Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES release 3 installed on it.
Today, I acquired 2 additional IP addresses for it.  I can add the IP
addresses using the following commands, but they are not permanent.

# ifconfig eth0 add xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx netmask 255.255.254.0
# ifconfig eth0:0 add xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx netmask 255.255.254.0

As this was not making it permanent, I created 2 files (ifcfg-eth0:0 &
ifcfg-eth0:0:1) inside the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ directory.  The
first file works and interface eth0:0 comes up at startup.  However, the
second interface stays down.  Below is the content of the two files:

ifcfg-eth0:0
---
DEVICE=eth0:0
ONBOOT=yes