TTL returning 0 when /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_default_ttl is 64????

Smith, Albert Albert.Smith at genexservices.com
Thu Feb 17 14:02:16 UTC 2005

We are a simulation site that uses UDP broadcasting to send packets to
various sims.  We been using RHL 9.0 with success, but with the upgrade to
RHEL-WS 3.3 we are now having problems with tcp TTL being set to 0.  Looking
at /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_default_ttl it shows a value of 64. But yet via
ethereal the time to live field shows 0 for all UDP packets.  This also
appears on broadcast pings with TTL showing 0.  This does not occur on any
of the RHL 9.0, only on the RHEL-WS systems.
To add, these systems have multiple interfaces (3), Intel and 3Com type
cards and that these are UDP packets.  Is there something new under RHEL
that is preventing UDP packets to have a TTL greater than 0?  Is there a way
to set TTL for UDP??  Any help would be appreciated.  If  more info is
needed, I be happy to give.

Thanks.

Steve Binyon
System Administrator