How to add application during startup ??

Jay Chandran jaychandran at spymac.com
Fri Feb 18 10:43:21 UTC 2005

Hi all,

How can I add an application to start every time OS boots up. I am using Red Hat 9.0.
Like in windows, if we place an application in "Startup", whenever Windows, the application will autolaunch itself.
How can this be done in Linux.

It's like this :

I have a Java application, that I need start everytime OS boots. I need to place in Startup so that it is automatically started. Using InstallAnywhere the setup file is created. Actually, I need this to launch another application which is available in USB Flash Drive.
Currently, after mounting the USB Flash Drive, the user can go to mount folder and double clicking an Shell Script file, will launch the application.

I need to automate this process, so that when the User plugs in the USB Flash Drive,
my other application , (which would be running in the background) would mount the USB Flash Drive and launch the application.

Basically what I need to know is how to place an application in startup, such that it starts everytime OS boots.

My application will be given to client as an Installation file.
When the client installs the application it has to be such that, it is placed in some startup folder.

I have already done this in Windows version, but don't know how in Linux. In Windows, when client installs the application , shortcut to the application is automatically placed in the Startup folder. So when Windows boot, the application is also launched and is running in the background.

Same thing I wanted to replicate in Linux. Because, cant make the end user to edit some file for rc.local.
Can anyone give me some idea on this. Or if any other alternative.

Thanks in advance,

jAY