Procmail permission problem.

Mike Burger mburger at bubbanfriends.org
Mon Feb 21 05:08:14 UTC 2005

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005, Mike Vanecek wrote:

> I have reinstalled the latest version of spamassassin and clamav. I am using
> the clamav plugin and sitewide procmail. Everything works except I cannot find
> how to enable the procmail logfile using this approach.
>
> /etc/procmailrc has
>
> # SpamAssassin procmailrc
> SENDMAIL=/usr/sbin/sendmail
> LOGFILE=/var/log/procmail.log
> LOGABSTRACT=all
> COMSAT=no
> VERBOSE=yes
> DROPPRIVS=yes
>
> [snip]
>
> If I leave logfile as above, I get a write logfile error on incoming:
>
> Feb 17 17:24:07 www procmail[30460]: Error while writing to
> "/var/log/procmail.log"
>
> -rw-rw-r--    1 root     wheel           0 Feb 17 16:54 procmail.log
>
> which means a permissions error.
>
> How do I find out which user account sitewide procmail uses when processing
> the incoming mail? I suspect that the procmail process does not
> have write permission for the log? I hesitate to make the logfile 777?
>
> Thanks.

The problem, as I see it, is that Procmail runs as the user whose mail is
being delivered.  Therefore, unless user1, user2, etc are members of the
wheel group, they're not going to be able to write the log file.

Maybe each user can have a procmail log file...?

--
Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org

Visit the Dog Pound II BBS

To be notified of updates to the web site, visit