SAMBA and XP

Gerrit Albrecht albrecht at igam-mbh.de
Mon Feb 21 09:34:14 UTC 2005

Marty Landman schrieb:
> At 10:48 AM 2/18/2005, Hogue, Russ wrote:
>> I know I am missing something simple, but my users can access SAMBA from
>> all operating systems (older versions of Windows) except from Windows
>> XP, it never accepts the credentials from the client...any ideas?

If you have the same user names on Linux and on Windows and it works
with for example Windows 2000, then I think it could be the Windows XP
user name. I had some XP accounts which always failed to connect to
Samba. I found out, that these users where created with a name "xxx".
Later they where renamed to "yyy". This renaming changed the displayed
user name but the profile name was the same as before the rename. You
can check this, if you try to add another user "xxx" again and see if it
fails (because the user "yyy" uses "xxx" as profile name). When
connecting to Samba with such an user account, Windows XP always (?)
sends the old profile name ("xxx") and not the new user name ("yyy") to
Samba. Then Samba fails. Solution was to add an entry to
/etc/samba/smbusers. Just add on the left the Linux account name and on
the right all possible Windows account names, e.g.:

gerrit = gerrit galbrech albrecht u205

If you have problems finding the correct username which Windows sends to
Samba, try a network sniffer.

> Try adding a user with the same id as on your XP box. Then use smbpasswd
> to create a password for the Linux user which is the same as the
> password for that user on XP.

This works only if you have a correct naming scheme on the windows XP
box. Better is to add a user _with the Linux account name_ to windows XP
and then go to the user manager and rename the account to the name you want.

Some user accounts at may XP boxes also stored passwords on their
system. They clicked on a network path and XP prompted for
username/password and then they entered the data from another user. If
this user is removed they may have problems because Windows XP tries to
connect with the old data and never asks again for a new
username/passwort. I don't know, how I can force XP to display this
dialog...

Kind regards,

Gerrit Albrecht