Freeing unused kernel memory

Mark Farmer farmerma at cromwell.co.uk
Mon Feb 21 14:35:26 UTC 2005

Hi

We have a server running AS 2.1 which stops booting after saying
"freeing unused kernel memory: 248k freed" at this point I can
ctrl+alt+del and the server reboots so it's not actually hung & if left
long enough a message will apear on screen saying "aacraid:controller 0
completed scrub test" which I suspect is comming from the raid
controller itself & not the OS.
I can boot from cd1 with 'linux rescue' & it mounts the install into
/mnt/sysimage & I can chroot in no problem, start services etc.
I've grabbed a copy of the logs while running in rescue mode but there
is nothing at all near the time of the crash and nothing obvious in
dmesg etc.

After googleing i've tried passing (not all at the same time) 'apm=off'
'acpi=off' 'vsdo=0' but none of these help.
I don't know what the 'vsod=0' does, anyone?

The last time the server ran under it's own steam we saw a kernel panic
with a message about an error on cpu1, I have tried both smp & std
kernels but neither will complete the boot process.

Short of reinstalling the machine which seems a little drastic i'm at a
loss here, does anyone have any ideas or indeed know of a fix?

TIA

--
Mark Farmer
Linux System Administrator

This email is intended for the named recipient. The information contained
in it is confidential.  You should not copy it for any purposes, nor
disclose its contents to any other party.  If you received this email
in error, please notify the sender immediately via email, and delete it from
your computer.

necessarily represent those of the company.

Registered Office: PO Box 14, Chartwell Dr, Wigston, Leicester. LE18 1AT