Suggestions for a mail server...

Ken Morley ken at jmtg.com
Mon Feb 21 17:13:03 UTC 2005

My customer needs a mail server that will support a few hundred remote
clients who will connect using POP3 or IMAP.  The clients don't need any
webmail access, but will need the ability to send and receive email via the
internet, not just amongst themselves.

A key requirement is that administration of the mail server must simple and
preferably via a GUI interface.  I don't want the semi-technical people
responsible for adding, removing and otherwise managing accounts and
mailboxes to have to do it from the Linux command prompt or to have to use
multiple utilities.

I plan on using RedHat ES3 and I am very familiar with Sendmail, ClamAV,
MIMEDefang, SpamAssassin, etc.  So, I plan on using those products for the
"core" of the mail server.

Can anyone recommend a component to handle the POP3/IMAP part of this?
Should I maybe use procmail instead of sendmail?  What about the management
issues?

Thanks very much for any suggestions!

Ken Morley