Suggestions for a mail server...

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Mon Feb 21 18:20:09 UTC 2005

On Mon, Feb 21, 2005 at 12:13:03PM -0500, Ken Morley wrote:
> My customer needs a mail server that will support a few hundred remote
> clients who will connect using POP3 or IMAP.  The clients don't need any
> webmail access, but will need the ability to send and receive email via the
> internet, not just amongst themselves.
>
> A key requirement is that administration of the mail server must simple and
> preferably via a GUI interface.  I don't want the semi-technical people
> responsible for adding, removing and otherwise managing accounts and
> mailboxes to have to do it from the Linux command prompt or to have to use
> multiple utilities.
>
> I plan on using RedHat ES3 and I am very familiar with Sendmail, ClamAV,
> MIMEDefang, SpamAssassin, etc.  So, I plan on using those products for the
> "core" of the mail server.
>
> Can anyone recommend a component to handle the POP3/IMAP part of this?
> Should I maybe use procmail instead of sendmail?  What about the management
> issues?

procmail is *NOT* a replacement for sendmail.  After sendmail gets done
with a mail message, it passes it off to procmail for mail delivery.
Technically, sendmail is an MTA (Mail Transfer Agent) and procmail is an
MDA (Mail Delivery Agent).

RHEL comes with a pop3/imap server conveniently known as imap. Install
the server and it will listen on both ports by default.

That just leaves you the account management pieces.  Have you looked at
webmin?  http://www.webmin.com/

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE
Mounds View, MN, USA