up2date RPM package conflict error

Ryan Williams ryan at jimmyether.com
Tue Feb 22 18:10:06 UTC 2005

> You (or someone) probably installed the package manually or something like
> that, ie. not via up2date. Therefore the up2date profile in the server has no
> knowledge of this package already installed in your machine, and try to
> update it.
>
> Run 'up2date -p' to update your profile, then try again.

The -p option doesn't fix the problem. It still gives the same error:

Fetching Obsoletes list for channel: rhel-i386-es-3...

Fetching rpm headers...

Name                                    Version        Rel
xerces-j                                2.2.1          11
  i386

Testing package set / solving RPM inter-dependencies...
RPM package conflict error.  The message was:
Test install failed because of package conflicts:
package xerces-j-2.2.1-11 is already installed

This is a new ES3 server install as of yesterday. We ran up2date
yesterday without this issue and no RPMs have been manually installed.
We do have Plesk on this box and did some psa related installs/upgrades
which included the Tomcat server. I suppose Plesk could have installed
it as part of that Java package.

Any clue on how to correct this? Should I just add it to my config file
to skip 'xerces*'? It's not letting me do any other patches with the -u
option due to this error.

Sorry, I'm a newbie when it comes to up2date. I'm used to using YUM on
the legacy RH9.

Ryan