General NFS Stuff

Brian D. McGrew brian at visionpro.com
Tue Feb 22 22:44:25 UTC 2005

We're serving up NFS off several linux boxes and several Solaris/SPARC
machines and most are running fine.  We're using NIS on the Solaris
machines as our primary naming service.

Everyone can access all the exported file systems on the Solaris boxes
with no problem and the same is true for most of the linux servers.
However, I have one linux server running RedHat 9 which has a RAID 5
array in it that _some_ clients get a permission denied while trying to
access the shared filesystem.  All of our clients are using the
automounter (amd) and just create symlinks back to
/net/server/filesystem directory.  The line in my exports file on the
questioned server is:

/visionpro/		*(rw,insecure,sync,no_root_squash)

I don't know what to look for but I don't see anything obvious on the
server nor any of the clients.  I just know that when I go to some of
the clients and do something like a cd /net/bigblue/visionpro/release
I'll get a permission denied.  But this doesn't happen on _all_ the
clients and there is no pattern to the machines that it does happen on.
Most of my clients are RH7.3 but there is some Solaris 8/SPARC and some
FC3 mixed in there.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

-brian